Social media has revolutionized the communication world by bringing the entire world under one umbrella. It has, on the contrary, received an equal amount of flak as praise and continues to be loathed by parents especially as they feel it has created an environment of constant distraction. This is, however, not completely true as the intentions of its construction were completely different and were meant to help the people in a number of ways.
Benefits of using social media
The benefits of being on a social media platform are immense and overshadow all the made-up negativity around.
• Connect with anybody – The primary advantage will always be how easy and convenient it has made for people to communicate with each other. There are features of messaging or expressing one’s mood that anyone sitting miles away can read. People have even claimed to find their lost friends after years with the ease of such platforms.
• Education – Social media always has a lot of professionals from different areas of life. They keep putting out their articles or ideas on their posts which can be read by aspiring students. Connecting with such eminent personalities and gaining first knowledge is also a benefit provided by these platforms.
• Help – There are groups on the platforms or individuals who can provide help when needed. One can take suggestions or recommendations on a place they are supposed to visit, ask for a feedback on the product they will be buying or any sort of help, serious or household, could have some genuine suggestions coming their way.
• News of the world – Everyone is on social media platforms. Everyone has an opinion and everyone likes to share them. Therefore, it becomes a perfect place to acquire information about what is happening in the world. Since it also diminishes the distance gap, one could easily get to know the conditions of countries far away and completely unadulterated as they could get to know the actual experience of the indigenous crowd.
• Marketing tool – Companies have been using these networking sites to generate awareness regarding their products and some have even started to sell on these websites. The websites, too, advertise the product based on the history of its user and therefore, matches the company with their potential client.
• Donations – Over the years, with the increasing popularity, social media websites have started to cover major aspects of life. One such is of initiating noble causes by people from anywhere around the globe and collecting donations. There have been numerous instances where a flood affected area was funded through online platforms and mostly social media. The awareness of such calamities is always there, per se.
• Word of mouth – Today, social media can make or break anything. A sense of appreciation across social media can make a small film earn millions or a lesser known product getting its sale sky-rocketed. The communities within the platforms can help raise awareness about particular issues or can pass on any important information during a calamity. The government can directly speak to its citizen and inform them about anything important. A citizen can express their opinions or anything they would want to say that concerns the collective community for the government to hear and act upon. All in all, the word of mouth can be spread to a wider area where everyone gets to know about the pros and cons of anything that is happening.
As seen, social media provides a number of benefits. A pessimist might argue against them but deep down they know that it is not the social networking sites but the flaws in human that cause such troubles.